Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Knitting Screw Guy


I can't believe it's almost 2 weeks since Stitches. I meant to post this story right away, but didn't get around to it.

When setting up my booth at Stitches, I was helped immeasurably by my neighbors at Mind Your Knitting. I'm forever indebted to the husband of this family business team. Since he may want to remain somewhat anonymous, I'll just call him "Screw Guy." Screw Guy saved my sales for the weekend.

As mentioned in a previous post, Stitches was my first retail venture. (I only sold wholesale to yarn shops prior to this.) Besides packing 500 Knitter's Journey Knit with Wire Kits, I had to get display fixtures and get a merchant number so that I could accept credit cards in order to do the show. My credit card validator and my merchant number arrived just in time as I was packing for Stitches. I knew I had to swap the new merchant number plate for the generic one that came with my validator. I packed a screwdriver and figured I'd take care of it in Chicago.

Well, guess what? One of the screws just wouldn't budge. It looked like the head of the screw was stripped. Panic set in. No Validation plate = no credit card sales.
Screw Guy to the rescue! Not only did he have a better screw driver, he had an arsenol of tools that had no business being at a knitting show. And am I thankful that he did! Screw Guy loosened the screwed up screw with a few quick twists of his superior Philips head. But we weren't out of the woods yet! When I swapped the plates it was evident that the new plate was larger than the old plate- it covered the numbers of the date. But never fear, Screw Guy was here! He had a sharp little cutting tool handy. He expertly cut the plate down to size. I breathed a sigh of relief. Thanks to Screw Guy, credit cards of Stitches attendees were now free to lay themselves down on my validator bed.

Thanks again to my superhero, Screw Guy, fighting for truth, justice, and the American Way . . . CHARGE!

No comments: