Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mittens in May

My birthday is coming up in just a few weeks. It is one of those nasty birthdays ending in a zero, and I've been dreading it for the last 6 months. I finally decided I have to both celebrate it and do something for a cause so that I don’t feel sorry for myself. I therefore proposed to friends and family that we pay tribute to my birthday and my favorite charities – My school's Mitten Tree and the Heifer Project. Here's the deal: Mitten Tree --knitting friends may pledge to knit a hat or mittens, (to be completed by December) for the school mitten tree, with the goal of accumulating 1 hat for every year of my life –as it is a significantly large number, group co-operation is needed, and they had better start now.
Heifer project --Yes, it's a bit tacky to ask for money, but I'm asking non-knitting friends to give a buck or two for a ewe. Put a few bucks in a birthday card and I will donate the total proceeds to the Heifer project. I hope to collect enough for a sheep or a fiber basket. I'm also having a Knitter's Journey Jewelry sale party at my house, once again donating the profits to Heifer. It does not help me feel anyyounger, but it does help me feel better. A few glasses of wine with my birthday cake may help as well.

No comments: