Sunday, May 11, 2008

Craft teaching event #3 Camp Minikani

Well, I'm behind on my blogging again. I have so much to report of the knitting/beading/crafting nature that I think I shall have to break it down into separate posts. Here is the first --

On May 1, I joined my second grade friends and their parents and teachers at Camp Minikani. I was just there to teach a craft activity, while the students and their parents stayed overnight. I was worried about the weather because we held our class outdoors, but it turned out to be a lovely day.

I taught the children how to make beaded keychains. With a bit of help from their parents, all my young friends succeeded in creating a finished product in just 1/2 hour, and they were all quite good! Now, if they just had keys to put on the keychain, they could unlock the door to the wigwam that they built with the art teacher!

Seriously, the camping retreat is a wonderful tradition that my school has been doing with 2nd graders for many, many years. It's a treat for me to see the children with their parents, and to know that many of them are experiencing nature in depth for the very first time. I'm honored to take part in this special event.

No comments: