Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Knitter in Paris - Day 7 (Le Fin)





Our last day in Paris. I walked with my friend over to Les Invalides to visit the Musee de l'Armee and Napoleon's Tomb. I got a couple of cool pictures of knight's armour that I will use for my Days of Knights summer school class. My friend then left to go to his business meeting, and we promised we would try to see each other again before another 20 years go by.

My husband and I then did some last minute souvenir shopping, but did not buy much. I actually found a very nice yarn shop, Le Droguerie, right next to Les Halles and St. Eustache church. It was very busy. They carry only their own line of hand dyed yarns, but in just about every fiber and color. The shop had many garments of their own design on display. Most were of simple construction, but with unique embellishments of ribbons, buttons, beads, or felt appliques that they sold in the store. It was tempting, but I didn't know what I wanted, and you had to request help to buy anything. It was beyond my patience and my limited french to wait for an available clerk. I admired and left with all my Euros still in my pocket.

That evening we had another rendezvous--this time with my step-daughter's best friend from grade school who has been living in Paris for the last 8 years. We had a great time meeting her and her fiancee, and loved the restaurant that she recommended. It was a gourmet affair, typiquement francais, as you can see from my husband's enjoyment of his "gambas." Also very french, was the cute little chien you see here. He trotted into the restaurant like he owned the place, and the staff greeted him warmly. As he passed our table, he stole my state fair blue ribbon winning mittens out of my coat pocket, and tried to turn them into his appetizer! Fortunately, he was bi-lingual and understood No! No! No!(Non! Non! Non!)


No comments: